Ahmedabad, Aug 29 (ANI): Ahmedabad police recovered the bodies of two persons who died after allegedly consuming illicit liquor on Friday.
Three other persons are undergoing treatment at the hospital.
Relatives of victims accused the government of not taking steps to prevent the vending of illicit liquor.
“My father was complaining of a headache so I asked him to go to hospital but he didn’t want to go there then I said that take some tea. When we went for tea then we saw the dead body of a man who consumed liquor a day before, he died today after complaining of vomiting and stomach ache…there is no one to take care of poor, every one cares of rich people,” said Seema Ben, daughter of a victim.
However, police officials said that whether the victims had died after consuming illicit or poison could be ascertained only after reviewing post mortem reports.
“We can’t say that the victims consumed illicit liquor or not at this moment of time. However, doctors at the VS Hospital are said that the victims consumed some chemical but we would only say something on this only after reviewing post mortem reports,” said H. K. Mehta, additional commissioner of Police, Ahmedabad.
At least 132 people died of consuming illicit liquor in Ahmedabad in July.
Illicit liquor, also known as grog or hooch, is a flourishing beverage in India, particularly in states like Gujarat where prohibition is in force.
The illicit liquor is much cheaper as compared to the licensed drinks, which cannot be afforded by most of the people from the poorer sections of society. (ANI)