Authorities are investigating an incident in which more than 20 students were overcome by fumes at a Cairns school laboratory in far north Queensland.
The year seven students were taking part in a lesson in their science classroom at Redlynch College when they began suffering from breathing difficulties and skin irritations.
21 children were taken to Cairns Base Hospital.
Education Queensland spokesman Colin Allen-Waters says the students were not conducting any experiments.
“No chemicals were being used in the classroom so we’re not sure what was the cause,” he said.
The area was cordoned off while Queensland Fire and Rescue Service (QFRS) conducted air tests.
Superintendent Darren Walsh says police will also investigate the incident.