July 27 (Reuters) – French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner said on Tuesday he saw no increased threat of terrorist action in France in the wake of the killing of a 78-year-old hostage kidnapped in Niger.
“I don’t think we have the slightest bit of evidence of an increased danger,” Kouchner told RTL radio in an interview.
The foreign minister was speaking from Mali after being sent to the Sahel region on Monday by President Nicolas Sarkozy to discuss increased security measures for French nationals.
Kouchner said he had not urged French nationals to leave the Sahel but had asked that they take increased safety precautions.
Al Qaeda’s North African wing announced on Sunday it had executed Frenchman Michel Germaneau after a raid by Mauritanian and French troops last week in which six Islamists were killed. (Reporting by Vicky Buffery; Editing by Jon Boyle)