“We condemn this terrorist attack in the strongest possible terms and extend our sympathy to the families of those injured and killed,” US State Department spokesman Ian Kelly said.
“The US strongly condemns all forms of terrorism. We do not sponsor any form of terrorism in Iran,” Kelly said.
At least 15 people were killed Thursday in an attack on Amir Al- Momenin mosque in the city of Zahedan, in the south-east province Sistan-Beluchistan.
Earlier Friday, deputy Governor Jalal Sayah told Fars news agency that the three people arrested in connection with the bombing had been hired by the United States, according to initial interrogations.
The central government in Tehran has not commented on the governor’s allegations.
Kelly said the United States was concerned about a “recent trend” of bombings of Shia mosques in Iraq and Pakistan as well as Iran. The US would “strongly condemn any kind of sectarian-driven violence.”(dpa)