July 18 (Reuters) – Twin bomb attacks in Uganda’s capital that killed 73 people last week were carried out by suicide bombers, the head of police said on Sunday.
Somali al Shabaab insurgents linked to al Qaeda have said they carried out the attacks on a crowded restaurant and a rugby club in the Ugandan capital while fans watched the World Cup final on television last Sunday.
However, it said the attacks were not the work of suicide bombers. [ID:nLDE66C0U7]
“These attacks were carried out by suicide bombers. The evidence is overwhelming … two heads have not been claimed, neither have they been identified. It can’t be a coincidence,” Inspector General of Police Kale Kayihura told a news conference.
The al Qaeda-linked group al Shabaab said it was avenging the killing of civilians by African Union peacekeepers. Ugandan forces form the backbone of the 6,100-strong contingent in Somalia. (Reporting by Elias Biryabarema, Editing by George Obulutsa and Alison Williams)