Celebration of Community-Funded Renewable Energy System
Standard Solar, Inc.:
WHAT: Dedication of Washington, DC Region`s First `Grass Roots` Solar Energy
WHO`S SLATED TO SPEAK:
* University Park Mayor John Tabori
* Chesapeake Climate Action Network Executive Director Mike Tidwell
* Church of the Brethren Pastor Kim McDowell
* Community Park Solar Co-Founders David Brosch and Tom Eichbaum
* Atmospheric Scientist and University of Maryland Professor Ross Salawitch
* Standard Solar Co-Founder Lee Bristol
WHEN: 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m., Saturday, June 12, 2010
WHERE: Church of the Brethren, 4413 Tuckerman Street, University Park, MD 20782
• A 22 kW solar energy system was recently designed and installed by Standard
Solar on the roof of the Church of the Brethren in University Park, Maryland.
• The project is funded by 36 community members who have formed the University
Park Community Solar LLC (UPCS).
• The system will supply electricity to the church, which will purchase power
from UPCS at a prescribed rate. Excess energy will be supplied to the grid.
• The financial model of UPCS projects a return of investment in 5 to 6 years,
based on revenue from electricity supplied to the church and grid, the auction
of renewable energy credits, federal tax incentives for solar energy, and
• This is believed to be the first community-funded solar energy system in the
U.S. The UPCS solar energy system is intended to serve as a model for how
communities can help the nation decrease its reliance on fossil fuels in a
financially viable manner.
Directions: About a 1 mile south of the University of Maryland-College Park
campus, near the intersection of Route 410 (East-West Highway) and Route 1. From
that intersection, drive north two blocks on Route 1 toward College Park to the
intersection at Tuckerman Street. Church is on left (west); parking lot is on
Tuckerman Street, directly across from the church.
Light refreshments will be served.
For more information, please go to:
Community Park Solar
David Brosch, 301-779-3168
Standard Solar, Inc.
Jim Pierobon, 240-479-1517
Copyright Business Wire 2010