Datia (Madhya Pradesh), Aug. 9(ANI): Farmers are a worried lot in Madhya Pradesh’s Datia district as they are experiencing acute water scarcity, which has been further aggravated by deficit rainfall leading to a drought like situation in the region.
“Due to inadequate rains we are sitting idle. We have no work. Our crops are dying for want of water,” said Balram Singh, a farmer.
Meanwhile, concerned officials of the district administration say that they have initiated steps to tackle the situation.
“Our main source (of water) Ram Sagar Dam wasn’t able to fill due to scanty rainfall. Water for 35 days is remaining in the dam. We provide water to 80 percent area of Datia through filter plants and tanks. In remaining 20 percent of area, which has no lines for water supply, water is being provided through tankers,” said Ganda Lal, Commissioner of Municipal Corporation.
“For enhancing the water supply, a programme is being developed by the State Government at a cost of Rs 3.36 crore. It will be objective of the district administration and ours to ensure that the programme is implemented before Ram Sagar dam dries,” he added.
As for the trends leading to drought, agriculture scientists are of the view that farmers and others should wisely utilise water as the situation is grim.
“Farmers and people using water should ensure proper utilisation of water. We don’t have enough water. People should discretely fetch water from wells. If they try to fetch water in excess, wells will dry and it will be impossible to revive these wells,” said Y M Cool, Agronomist at Agricultural University in Gwalior.
Total rainfall in the country since the beginning of June was 19 percent below average, pulled down by the driest June in 83 years, data from the India Meteorological Department showed. (ANI)