(Reuters) – Former Prudential Plc (PRU.L) chief executive Mark Tucker was on Monday named by bailed-out insurer American International Group Inc (AIG) (AIG.N) as executive chairman and CEO of its Asian life insurance business, American International Assurance (AIA), replacing existing head Mark Wilson. [ID:nTOE66I026]
Following are five facts about Tucker:
* Started adult life as a trainee professional footballer in Britain, making appearances for Wolverhampton Wanderers, Rochdale and Barnet.
* Is a chartered accountant. First joined Prudential group in 1986, working initially in Prudential Portfolio Managers Limited. Was Chief Executive of Prudential Corporation Asia for a decade up until 2003.
* Left Prudential in 2004 to join HBOS Plc as finance director. But returned as Prudential’s CEO in 2005 and stayed in that role until 2009, when he quit the group.
* Had eyed acquisition of AIA when he was CEO, but AIG did not proceed with the sale then.
* Born on Dec. 29, 1957 (Compiled by Muralikumar Anantharaman)