London, Apr.1 (ANI): His face is recognized by millions of golf fans worldwide. He is a winner of five Majors and 87 titles. A sporting legend.
Today that same face is a picture of bravery and courage as Spain’s Severiano Ballesteros faces his most important challenge – the battle to survive after four harrowing brain tumour operations and relentless chemotherapy sessions.
In his first interview since the nightmare began, Seve admitted: “The way I look at it, this is the biggest battle of my life – the sixth Major.”
Ballesteros, 51, collapsed and lost consciousness at Madrid Airport on October 6 last year.
Ever since, the world of golf has held its breath, wondering whether the Spanish maestro would pull through.
Seveis attacking his dilemma with all the gusto that brought him millions in prize money and image rights.
Money is currently the last thing on his mind, yet his daily schedule is still stiff enough to make many a young pro’s eyes water.
Talking enthusiastically about his fight for life, Ballesteros revealed his daily post-breakfast routine.
He said: “I walk 20 minutes around the swimming pool, I exercise another 20 minutes on a gym bike and do six minutes rowing.
“Then I walk barefoot for 15 minutes. I follow specific exercises to do with the mobility and sensitivity on the left part of my body. I end up contrasting cold and warm – sauna and swimming pool.
Some days the physio comes along and other days I have cognitive therapy instead.”
“Obviously, there have been many low moments. When you wake up in the morning you do not want to get out of bed and think ‘Where do I go?’
“The problem is there when you are fully aware of what is happening, that is when you feel the inside pain,” he says. (ANI)